State of New Hampshire, legacy name
The first battleship New hampshire was constructed from 1816 - 1864 at
the Portsmouth Navy Yard. It was built of live oak with copper
fastenings believed to have been forged at the Revere Foundry,
established by New Hampshire native Paul Revere. The first new
Hampshire had three names during construction, she was christened as
the Alabama by president Monroe. In 1864, she was launched for the
Civil War and commissioned the New Hampshire, and in 1904, she was
renamed the Granite State, the nickname for the state of New Hampshire.
The purpose of this final name change was to make way for the second
ship to bear the name New Hampshire. The ship finally met her demise in
1921, when destroyed by a fire while tied up at the dock.
The second battleship to bear the name New Hampshire (BB
25) was constructed from 1905 - 1906 at the New York Shipbuilding Corp.
in Camden, New Jersey. A Connecticut Class battleship, she joined the
Navy in 1909 with her crew of 850 sailors. In 1921 she was
decommissioned, and in 1923 was sold for scrap.
A third Montana class battleship to be named New
Hampshire was authorized in 1940, but cancelled in 1943 before her keel
A portion of the seal of the submarine New Hampshire has
three stars. These three stars serve as a reminder that although the
USS New Hampshire (SSN 778) is the fourth authorized ship to bear the
name, it is actually the third vessel ever to be constructed and
commissioned bearing the proud name of the Granite State.